Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Food and Villains

I have two unusually delicious recipes and a list of villains to share with you.

Frosted Crackers
Melt butter and mix in powdered sugar until it has the consistency of frosting. Spread on saltine crackers. It is so delicious and addicting! You can use non-homemade frosting, but it won't be as good as powdered sugar and butter frosting.

Thirst Quencher
Mix one part carrot juice and two parts orange juice. Vary the ratio of orange or carrot to taste. Carrot juice might not sound good (I don't like it), but mixed with orange juice it is very satisfying.

Reeses Toast
Toast a piece of bread and spread peanut butter on it. Then take chocolate syrup and drizzle lightly over the peanut butter. Spread the chocolate with a knife so it evenly coats the peanut butter.

I'm not exactly sure what this tagging thing is, but Zella has tagged me and told me to list my seven favorite fictional villains, so here they are (with explanations).

1. Professor Moriaty from Sherlock Holmes: The only villain who could outthink Holmes. He is brilliant!

2. Aornis from Lost in a Good Book: This isn't necessarily because she is a fabulous villain, but because her method of murder is so clever! She decreases entropy in order to kill by coincidence on purpose!

3. Artemis Fowl: He clever and is always two steps ahead of the others. I especially love the last book (The Time Paradox) when the reformed Artemis has to fight against his younger (still evil) self.

4. Vice Principal Nero from A Series of Unfortunate Events: This was a difficult one. I love all the villains in the series, from Esme Squalor to the man with the beard but no hair and the woman with the hair but no beard. I picked Nero because he is so ridiculously illogical, one wants to strangle him. Also, he plays horrible, screechy, six-hour violin concerts and forces the students to attend. His punishments are absurd (buying him a bag of candy and watching him eat it, taking away silverware and forcing students to eat with their hands tied behind their back) and he likes to repeat students' sentences in a high pitched squeal to mock them.

5. The villain from Demons and Angels: I can't say who it is, because it would be a spoiler, but the reason I picked this one is the surprise it gave me. When I found out who the villain was I literally had to sit for 10 minutes and process it.

6. Lady Macbeth from Macbeth: Macbeth was one of the first Shakespeare plays I read, and I love Lady Macbeth, especially because of her eventual mental breakdown. She is manipulative but eventually succumbs to the evil she has done, and she, I think, is one of Shakespeare's more human villains.

7. The Tin Man from House: House is one of the scariest books I have ever read. I had trouble deciding between two Dekker villains (the other was Eve from Adam) but Tin Man ended up winning. The story of House goes like this: four people end up locked inside a deserted house that they thought was a hotel. A tin can is dropped down the chimney. It reads, "Welcome to my house. House rules: 1. God came to my house and I killed him. 2. I will kill anyone who comes to my house as I killed God. 3. Give me one dead body, and I might let rule two slide. Game over at dawn."

So there is my list of villains. I don't know that they're necessarily all of my favorites, but they are ones that I have particularly liked :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Great list, Serena! :D

    I really want to read House, so this makes me even more curious about it. This also has me chomping at the bit to read Lost in a Good Book. Yay for Thursday Next!

    If you like surprise villains, you may like Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I was in so much shock at the end, I read it again as soon as I finished it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to hear what you think of Lost in a Good Book. I liked it a lot but it wasn't perfect.
    Oooh! I have not ever read Agatha Christie, but I have always wanted to and known that I should! I will have to check out The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

    ReplyDelete