Saturday, May 1, 2010

My Own Skin

This isn't just a post about my feelings, I promise. It has a more universal meaning than that.

I think one of the best things about being a Christian is knowing who I am. I know that a lot of teenagers struggle with identity issues (Erikson's proposal that the adolescent conflict is identity v. role confusion has a lot of validity). This is not to say that Christians are always happy... that's not true. I can't speak for guys, but I know that most girls, even Christian girls, go through periods of insecurity. However, as a Christian, my identity is set. I don't have to work for the praise of others or the attention of boys; I can live to glorify God. One who is a Christian can be comfortable in his own skin, and be free from the plague of self-doubt. The Bible says that a Christian is a friend of Christ, a son or daughter of God, God's workmanship, a temple of the Holy Spirit, a part of the Church (which is the Bride of Christ), an ambassador for Christ, a part of the Body, and a citizen of heaven. Christians are redeemed, ransomed, forgiven, free, protected, anointed, sanctified, strengthened, and complete. Since I am complete in Christ, I don't have any need or right to complain about who I am. I can worrying so much about the opinions of others, and be secure in the knowledge of who I am in Christ.

"If the praise of others elates me and their blame depresses me; if I cannot rest under misunderstanding without defending myself; if I love to be loved more than to love, to be served more than to serve, then I know nothing of Calvary love." - Amy Carmichael

"For in Him [Christ] dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power." Colossians 2:9-10

2 comments:

  1. This is cool. I liked how you linked ideas from psychology with theology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! :D it's something i'd been thinking about for a while

    ReplyDelete