Monday, April 26, 2010

The Joys of Modern Music

As much as I love formal dances, I have a love-hate relationship with the actual dancing. (The dinner is usually the most best part of the evening.) This is my commentary on/criticism of a few of the songs they have played at dances in years past.

"Gimme More"
Serena: More what? Gimme more what, Melody?
Melody: I have no idea!
Serena: I wish I could figure out what she wants more of...

"Replay"
In Psychology class I learned that a tune that gets stuck in ones head is called an earworm. I guess it isn't quite as romantic to say "Shawty's like an earworm," but it sure would be amusing. Now that's the only thing I can think of when I hear this song!
The section of this song with the words "I can be your melody. Oh girl, I could write you a symphony" has always bothered me. The first line makes sense. If the girl is a song stuck in his head, he wants to be her melody. The metaphor makes sense. It breaks the metaphor with "I could write you a symphony," however. Writing a symphony is something that is generally done literally and not figuratively, so it weakens the extended metaphor. Also, I sincerely doubt the speaker could write a prelude, much less a symphony. Do you know how much you have to understand about instruments and music theory to compose a symphony?

"Love Story"
"You were Romeo and you were throwing pebbles..."
Serena: You know, if he were really Romeo, he would be committing suicide, not throwing pebbles.
Kaitlin: (laughing) Just dance, Serena.
I've always had a problem with Romeo and Juliet being the archetypal love story. I think it is the archetypal story of adolescent stupidity. (I also don't believe in love at first sight. Lust at first sight or infatuation at first sight, sure, but not love.) Also, the speaker compares herself to a "scarlet letter." While I admire the ambitious nature of both of these allusions, I think the second is just as faulty as the first. The speaker should not be alluding to adultery: infidelity is hardly romantic.

"Carry-out"
I always consult Melody if I want to know about a song, because she knows pop music (unlike me).
Serena: What is this song?
Melody: Well, it's by Justin Timberlake, and it's about sex
Serena: Hm. You don't hear a lot of songs about that...
Melody: I know, right? The thing about this one is the whole song uses fast food metaphor for sex.
Serena: Ooh! How deeply edifying!

While this metaphor is no doubt... unique, and I am impressed with the music world's increasing use of literary devices, this song is so bad I don't even need to criticize it. The extended metaphor is weak and inconsistent. When one uses a metaphor, or any figurative language, it ought to help someone better understand a facet of what one is describing. The fast food metaphor doesn't accomplish this.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Serena always the intellectual...
    These thoughts are similar to mine during dances, but I usually don't say anything...
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA rofl xD oh thank you for quoting me, serena, this made me laugh soooo hard just now!!

    For the record though, I'm not sure if I said that about Gimme More...I think we both know what Brittney wants more of :P Also, I do not like the song carryout. it is catchy, but the lyrics are awful and it's a stupid metaphor...i just happen to have heard the song. but thank you for thinking i am so into pop culture xD

    ReplyDelete