Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Right Way

I had a piano lesson last night, and my teacher explained to me how if I wanted to bring out the top (melody) note of the chords I was playing, I had to emphasize that note, which I was playing with my pinky. In order to do this I had been leaning my hand to put more weight on my pinky, but I ended up not aligning my fingers properly and playing with poor technique because of it. My teacher had me straighten my hand and play, and the top note sounded louder almost automatically. She smiled and said that our hands are well designed and if I use correct technique it will be easier for me to make everything sound good.

I was just thinking about that again today--how if I follow the rules of technique, it is so much easier to play and to play beautifully. Then I started thinking about how following the rules in anything often makes things easier and more beautiful. Following God's rules in the Bible about sexual purity now makes it easier to build a strong marriage later. Paying attention in class instead of texting and passing notes makes the material easier to learn and the test easier to pass.

Doing something correctly often makes it easier. And while we shouldn't assume that the easy thing is always the right thing (it is definitely not), it helps to have the encouragement that by following the rules now, we are doing something that will benefit us in the long run.

2 comments:

  1. Good point. I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. But isn't it ironic that often we don't do things correctly...even when we know the rewards?

    ReplyDelete