Friday, April 23, 2010

Out of many, one

My mind has been very fecund (I love that word!) this week. I've been turning a lot of ideas over in my head; none of them is enough to make a blog post, but together they are blog-worthy. E pluribus unum!
  • Did you know that when you see Broadway shows (not even necessarily on Broadway) they often have restroom ushers? The bathrooms are big to accommodate everyone who attends the show, so there will be a uniformed attendant in the ladies' room watching for open stalls and gesturing you to them. I can't speak for the men's room, but their lines are always 10 times shorter than the women's, so I assume that they do not need an usher.
  • The English language has no words with three letters in a row. It would be very interesting if "eee" sounded different from "ee" and "e," for example.
  • Right now, a lot of e-commerce is not taxed. While I love buying books on Amazon without paying sales tax, it seems like the national government could make a bundle putting a sales tax on items bought over the internet. I read in my economics book that originally e-commerce was not taxed to ensure its growth, but we all recognize that it is here to stay now.
  • It is frustrating how neither one of these: "I have to go to the bathroom really bad" or "I have to go to the bathroom really badly" sounds correct. I was puzzling over it and decided one could say "I badly have to go to the bathroom." Mrs. D suggested "I have to go to the bathroom desperately." This eliminates the problem, and sounds very dramatic. That's my grammar puzzle of the week!
  • Sometimes, it is more difficult to write things badly than to write them well, especially if you are trying to make it sound like you are trying to write well but are failing. (If that makes sense at all. It made sense in my head!)
  • Honey mustard always comes in little tubs with wrappers on top that you peel off, but ketchup always comes in squeeze packets. They are used for roughly the same purposes and are the same consistency... why the different packaging?

2 comments:

  1. Hehe I love this! I have all sorts of randomness floating around in my mind, too. :D

    By the way, Serena, I tagged you on my non-book blog (http://www.grammaticallymotivated.blogspot.com). I hope you have fun with. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I'm going to enjoy that :D

    ReplyDelete