Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Silence is Golden

I just read this article on Boundless about silence, and was struck by it. I think too many times I jump in to correct others or disagree with them when I feel they are wrong. There is no need for me to have a retort for everything or to always argue when someone else is wrong. Sometimes, I should just silently disagree, or at least wait a bit before saying something. This is so true of most teenagers. How many arguments with parents, siblings, and friends could be avoided if the person would not needlessly contradict everything said by others?

"Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute" - Josh Billings

"Don't speak unless you can improve the silence."

"O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love..." - St. Francis of Assisi

"He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit. Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." Proverbs 17:27-28

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Agreed. Of course, the fact that I'm commenting kind of contradicts the whole silence thing...but I think you are definitely good at being self-controlled when it comes to talking just for its own sake

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, I will agree with Estelle and break (internet?) silence to say I like the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. i wouldn't say that commenting on this post contradicts the silence article. maybe arguing with matt does though :)

    ReplyDelete