Monday, February 8, 2010

Eye adventures!

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a picture of my retina, my very own left retina. I went to the eye doctor on Thursday, and instead of dilating my eyes they used an Optomap, which has a bright green light that scans your retina. I of course asked them to email it to me, and they did. The doctor pointed out everything in the picture and then told me I have a very healthy retina with healthy tissue and good blood flow. The fat black lines are my eyelashes. The glowing yellow dot where the veins converge is my optic nerve (where all the nerve axons combine to take visual information to the brain). The place where the optic nerve begins is where one's blind spot is; it is a blind spot because there are no rods or cones there.
For a demonstration of your blind spot go to http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/chvision.html

To the right of my optic nerve in this picture is my fovea, or the place with the highest concentration of cones (which help you see color and detail). If you click on the retina picture, you can see it blown up really big, and you can even see the individual nerve fibers above and in between the optic nerve and fovea. They are leading to the optic nerve, carrying information from my rods and cones to my brain.
The eye is absolutely amazing, and the more I learn about it, the more I am in awe.

Psalm 139:14 "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

No comments:

Post a Comment