Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dying to Self

As I was preparing an outline for the youth service, I thought to myself I might as well post some of what I have prepared for that on here. This is the first "sermon" (if you want to call it that) I gave at our now monthly youth service... I think this one was from the end of December. I don't usually have a lot to say off the top of my head, so I pick out Bible verses and arrange them and then pick my points based on that--I think it works out better that way. At this service, we had watched a short video about "Dying to Self," which is something that people often say and don't understand. Here's the outline I made about it.

Dying to Self: The What, Why and How


What is dying to self?

Losing our “false self.” Becoming living sacrifices. Repenting.

Romans 12:1 (NLT)

And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him


What living sacrifice can we give?

A repentant heart

Psalm 51:16-17 (NCV)

You are not pleased by sacrifices, or I would give them.

You don't want burnt offerings.

The sacrifice God wants is a broken spirit.

God, you will not reject a heart that is broken and sorry for sin.


Why should we die to self?

If we try to keep our life, we will lose it. Jesus must become more important in our lives, we must become less self-important.

Matthew 16:24-26 (NLT)

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?


John 3:30 (KJV)

He must increase, but I must decrease.


How can we die to self?

Crucifying our sinful nature

Galatians 5:24 (NKJV)

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.


Colossians 3:10 (NIV)

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.


Questions to Ponder


Can I see any duplicity in my life? Do I ever “tweak the story” to try to make myself look good in front of others? Am I the same at church as I am at school and at home?


Am I decreasing, and allowing Christ to increase His influence in my life?


What are some ways I can decrease, so that He can increase?


What sinful desires do I need to put to death? Are there parts of my earthly nature that I am allowing to live that I ought to nail to the cross?


What are some changes I can make in my life to crucify my sinful nature?


Galations 2:20 says “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”


Is my life lived “by faith in the Son of God”?


How can I better live out my life in accordance with this verse?

1 comment:

  1. Nice! This is deep. I wish my messages were this good! ~Estelle~

    ReplyDelete