Friday, February 5, 2010

e. e. cummings


My first poet is e. e. cummings. While I don't agree with the messages of some of his poems, (i.e. "since feeling is first") I think he expresses his ideas in a beautifully poetic manner. I've actually written two poems in his style. I'll give you two e. e. cummings pieces, and then the two I've written.

since feeling is first
e.e. cummings

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;
wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
—the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis


i carry your heart with me
e.e. cummings

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

Now for my poems. You should know enough about me to recognize that neither of these poems are based on my personal experiences. I used an e. e. cummings' subject matter (love).

presently, i see you and understand


presently, i see you and understand

more secrets hide within me than a spring (hides bubbling

beneath the earth) deepness puddles in my soul

brimming:less than the pools in your eyes which are

holding the meaning of that first kiss, powerfully transient

drink deeply—my mind knows you

are part of the color rising in my cheeks.

your hand in mine (no raindrop knows the cloud or sea)

this moment time recognizes;but does not know

before and behind:which is not, our need

only the smile on my lips, my head resting (herenow)

in the familiar place on your shoulder.



after the rain when the sky is silent

after the rain when the sky is silent

and i am brave enough to walk outside i think of you--remember

when our minds conversed(and sang in harmony)

i used to waltz through stormy weather with

you(bright jewel)hung in my heart;i thought

i knew all i needed about;the bright sea of stars:

we named at night smiled(because you

played counterpoint to their phrygian melody)


but this is all whatusedtobe

and

not

what

is

the harmony between us soured and diminished:and then

all you left me was your echo and i

learned that the blackemptiness that separates the stars can

muffle(entirely) their song;with a silence louder than memory.


i think of you and try to weep, but i

cannot even recall the taste of your smile

3 comments:

  1. Well, well, I do quite like your "after the rain when the sky is silent" :D
    The title caught my eye immediately; there's no other way to describe it than beautifully poetic :)
    Quite the talented poet, especially since you're immitating someone elses style. Might you post a poem that you consider your own style? I'm curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. why thank you, emily :) i worked really hard on "after the rain..." it went though a lot of revisions. there was a comma or semi-colon somewhere in the middle that was taken out and replaced at least 5 or 6 times haha.
    i don't really have a style :(. i need a form in order to be poetic. e. e. cummings' form doesn't seem like much of a form--it's unrhymed and without meter. but it restricts my subject and style enough that i can be creative. i work better within restrictions which is weird but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely, we're used to living by 'rules of conduct' for lack of better words, so it's pretty logical that the same would be for poetry. :) Still, I do find writing e. e. cummings style fun. but I always feel like a bad poet, because the style seems so simple and is easy to write...

    ReplyDelete