Monday, March 8, 2010

Transmogrify

Did you know that transmogrify is a word? I did not, until it was emailed to me as Merriam-Webster's word of the day. It means to change or alter greatly and often with grotesque or humorous effect. (If you don't like the "and" in that sentence and are wondering about it, know that I don't like it either. I think the syntax would be improved with a comma in its place, but I am copying verbatim.)

I had always thought it was a word made up by Bill Watterson, the creator of "Calvin and Hobbes," one of my favorite comic strips. You learn something new every day.


1 comment:

  1. Ha, I always thought it was a made up word too. Calvin and Hobbes are the most amazing comics ever, I have this whole boxed collection from costco... rainy days are better with Calvin and Hobbes.

    ReplyDelete