Monday, March 22, 2010

Free Verse

I don't like the free verse I write very much, so I'm thinking of giving this one meter and maybe rhyme. I'm also thinking of changing the title. Let me know if you think I should or shouldn't do either of those things.

From His Perspective

True, she may have wit and eloquence
But to be esteemed by me, she must enchant
She must possess the sensuous figure all girls want
Her movements must be lithe, each step a dance

Does she read? Does she care?
Is she wise? What does she love and hate?
Can she make good conversation when we meet?
These are not the kind of questions that prevail.

Are her lips full? And can her eyes beguile?
Can she turn heads with one toss of her hair?
The girl I want is one who can make men concur
With what she says by giving them a smile

No matter her intelligence, she'll suit me ill
Unless her looks fill me with longing
A good mind is worth nothing
Without a pretty face in front of it.

3 comments:

  1. NO DON'T! I like it just how it is :) you write excellent free verse. You probably don't like it because you're so used to writing poems with structure. And the title is what makes the poem so clever...I like it. One of my favorites of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks melsie :D
    i won't change the title then. i might write a rhyme and meter version, but i wasn't going to change this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the how you matched sound devices, but I personally think rhyme and meter would match the meaning of the poem better.

    ReplyDelete