Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Extended Metaphor

I was in my room a few days ago, trying to figure out how to explain The Book Thief to someone I know who liked The Hiding Place and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This was my inner monologue:

Well, If The Hiding Place and Guernsey had a baby together, it would be The Book Thief. But that doesn't sufficiently explain the style of Book Thief. Oh I've got it! Then the baby was given up for adoption and adopted by My Sister's Keeper and The Elegance of the Hedgehog. But wait! The Elegance of the Hedgehog and My Sister's Keeper would NEVER get married...
Besides, which couple would be the biological and which the adoptive parents based on the nature/nurture info I've learned in Psych class?

Another lovely metaphor, from a conversation I was having with Melody:
"Don't you hate it when you have a pregnant idea... (I want to express that I hate it when I can't accomplish an idea with so many possibilities) and it gets aborted?"

I should probably start speaking plain English. I haven't quite mastered figurative language, apparently.

3 comments:

  1. I love The Book Thief! It reminded me of Life of Pi and To Kill A Mockingbird, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Book Thief is one of my favorite books! I haven't read Life of Pi yet, but I've been sort of meaning to. Hm, I can definitely see the To Kill A Mockingbird relationship. Maybe TKAM married The Elegance of the Hedgehog instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Hahaha you crack me up Serena.

    ReplyDelete