Monday, August 2, 2010

Are we related? (Part II)

On the morning of my Jane Austen party, I was cleaning tea cups in the sink when my little brother, Stuart, asked me, "Jane Austen made movies, right?" Assuming he meant were Jane Austen's books turned into movies, I replied, "Yeah, of course!"
"Oh," he said as if he was telling me something incredibly creative new idea, "You should watch a movie at the party!"
"Stuart, that's what I have been planning to do from the very beginning. It says on the invitation we are having tea and watching a movie!"
"But you are going to watch Pride and Prejudice, aren't you! That's stupid! You should watch a Jane Austen movie, not silly Pride and Prejudice! You are so dumb, Serena!"
To this, all I could do was throw back my head and laugh. Stuart stared at me, uncomprehending. I explained that Jane Austen was an author and that Pride and Prejudice is by far her most well known novel. I have no idea how he didn't at least have an inkling of this, considering that he is almost 13, and that I have read, and frequently mention, all of Austen's novels.
"Stuart," I said despairingly, "Do you know who Marie Antoinette was?"

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness. I was literally laughing out loud when I read this and the previous. Your family is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed. you told me the story about Sophia but not this one xD SO hilarious

    ReplyDelete